05 February 2005

Why I am called a Christian

A generation ago, people referred to the religion that dominates the Middle East as Mohammedanism and its followers as Mohammedans. The current edition of the American Heritage ® Dictionary of the English Language notes that usage is considered offensive. It's easy to understand why because that language severely distorts the teachings of Islam and its followers, Muslims.

Muslims protested the older usage because it suggested -- falsely -- they worshipped Muhammad. They do not. They worship the God Allah, and strive to follow the teachings Muhammad gave about the way of submission to Allah. It is blasphemy to equate Muhammad and Allah, as it would be to equate any human teacher with God.

For exactly the same reasons, though reversed, I embrace the terms Christianity and Christian. The faith I profess is not simply about worshipping a God known as Abba and following the teachings Christ gave about submitting to him -- though I strive to do that. I am a Christian because I seek to worship Jesus Christ. It is not blasphemy it is truth to equate Jesus with God, for Jesus was not simply a human teacher.

No comments: